Call for Applications
The Application Process
The FRDC invests through a flexible approach. Part of this approach allows the Research Advisory Committees (RACs), Industry Partnership Agreements (IPAs) and Subprograms to call for applications based on their priorities up to three times per year in November, April and August. If the RACs, IPAs and Subprograms do not have any priorities they wish to address, a call for applications may NOT occur.
The FRDC will evaluate applications based on two levels of assessment:
- Greater than $175,000 (incl GST) assessed by the FRDC Board. This will occur at the April, August and November board meetings.
- Less than $175,000 (incl GST) and considered low risk, assessed by the FRDC. An application can be submitted at any time where an RAC, subprogram or IPA wishes to address an issue. These projects must have a budget of less than $175,000 and be considered a low risk by the FRDC.
November Call for applications is NOW OPEN
A summary of the process is as follows:
- Closing date for applications is 15 February.
- Applications will be assessed by the RACs, subprograms and IPAs in March.
- The FRDC will assess these applications in April and notify applicants in April–May.
The SECOND CALL for applications may be developed in April, as required, following the RAC, subprogram and IPA meetings.
- Closing date for applications is 10 June.
- Applications will be assessed by the RACs, subprograms and IPAs in July.
- The FRDC will assess these applications in August and notify applicants in August–September.
The THIRD CALL for applications may be developed in August, as required, following the RAC, subprogram and IPA meetings.
- Closing date for applications is 15 September.
- Applications will be assessed by the RACs, subprograms and IPAs in October.
- The FRDC will assess these applications in November and notify applicants in November–December.
If in doubt, check with the FRDC's project managers - see Advisory Group page.
The Evaluation Process
All applications are evaluated against the same criteria as outlined in the Application evaluation procedure.
The FRDC’s main funding mechanism is the (Annual) Competitive Round that comprises the three calls outlined above.
Below provides an indicative overview of the application process for this form of competitive funding.
There are a number steps to initiating your application and getting assessed.
- Review the call for applications material and ensure that your research project aligns with priorities outlined with the call.
- Speak with the relevant advisory groups or FRDC Research Advisory Committee managers - see Advisory Group Page.
- Prepare your application (Expression of Interest - EOI) via Fishnet (www.fishnet.gov.au) and submit to the FRDC. Ensure that you meet the due date, as outlined above.
- The FRDC will then distribute your application to the relevant advisory bodies for review.
- The application will then assessed by the FRDC for approval pathway (Board or Executive Director depending on application)
- The FRDC will provide formal advice regarding the status of your application pending assessment.
It is important that once you have completed your EOI you must finalise it on FishNet so that FRDC receives notification that the application is submitted. Failure to do so may mean that your application is not submitted and therefore not considered.
If you have any questions or problems with Fishnet, please contact the FRDC by phone (02) 6285 0400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.