Southern Rock Lobster IPA: Assessing functionality and suitability of the iPhone application 'Deckhand' for on-board electronic data capture in Southern Australian Rock Lobster (Jasus edwardsii) fisheries
South Eastern Professional Fishermen's Association Inc (SEPFA)
Principal Investigator: Justin Phillips
Key Words: deckhand, rock lobster, app, real time data
Summary: The key recommendations of that report were for any future electronic data capture system to;
• Utilise a touch screen interface robust enough to use on deck.
• Cause minimal interruption to the fishing operation.
• Use wireless communication (mobile / satellite network) for uploading data and downloading
• Provide real time (or minimum near time on a daily basis) data.
• Interact with existing database systems.
• Collect data directly linked to the management of the fishery.
• Receive inputs from a wide variety of sensors.
• Be easily modified to respond to changes in data requirements.
This project (2011/250) intended to address all of these recommendations with a view to
implementing a practical and operational system within the SZRLF.
1. A functional on-board electronic data capture system which addresses the requirements of regulators, research agencies and industry.
2. A detailed Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA).
3. A simpler, consolidated, more efficient way of reporting a day's catch.
4. Enhanced resource sustainability through the provision of improved information.
5. More efficient and effective, and therefore profitable, operation at the individual business level through the provision of more detailed information in a timely fashion.