Improving survival and quality of crabs and lobsters in transportation from first point of sale to market.
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (QLD)
1. Document current handling practices and transport pathways within the three crustacean industries and identify the factors contributing most to animal stress
2. Develop adapted handling and transport protocols that minimise the critical stress factors
3. Trial amended protocols within commercial operations
4. Evaluate success by change in number of downgrades and market price achieved for live product
5. Extend knowledge to industry sectors and encourage adoption by demonstration of protocols at local port meetings.