The fisheries industry has advisories boards operating independently across regions (eight State based RACs) and industry specific (11 IPA’s). The fishing and aquaculture commodity groups and regions will benefit from a shared understanding of the skills capabilities and needs which may not be apparent to individual groups who do not have the across-industry view. A shared understanding will enable the industry to adopt an informed decision making process when deciding priorities and allocating resources for addressing whole of industry workforce development needs.
identify gaps in services that need to be addressed. Fodd and Agribusiness Solutions appointed Ross Ord as the PI on the project. The project commenced early September 2016 with a final report due 28 October
- Desktop research: Examine the extension and adoption plans of the 11 industry partner bodies and the eight Research Advisory Committees. Review recent studies and reports. Document key capability building themes.
- Data gathering: Develop, pilot and distribute (via FRDC) an on-line survey, with survey questions approved by FRDC. Undertake initial review of results to identify trends and issues. Use this to determine the focus of follow- up stakeholder engagement, including discussions with industry representatives by telephone interviews.
- Industry forums: Attend the FRDC Stakeholder Annual Planning Workshop in Adelaide 26-27 October 2016. Present initial findings from the data gathering activities and seek feedback and comments from Workshop participants.
- Analysis: Collate and analyse all qualitative and quantitative data. Identify key themes and areas of commonality.
- Framework, mapping: Complete a desktop review of existing course offerings that relate to the priorities identified through the research. Examine any data available about course satisfaction. Design and populate the framework/matrix to ensure a consistent platform for reporting and examining input from groups. Map existing courses and programs to identified gaps and common elements.
- Final Report: To include a key set of insights and recommendations for use by RACs and IPAs in guiding skills and training priorities.