The Australian Seafood Industry operates in a diverse and dynamic environment and although the volume produced in Australia is small by world standards, the value and quality of our product and sustainability of our practices are globally recognized. For the Seafood Industry to continue to be a world leader in seafood production and quality there must be an opportunity to learn from each other and plan for the future. The role of Seafood Directions is to provide a significant opportunity for fisheries researchers, fisheries managers and others who work in support of the industry, to examine key contemporary and strategic issues and develop blueprints that will ensure a sustainable, profitable and socially resilient seafood industry in Australia. The need for Seafood Directions is indicated by the ongoing support of key stakeholders of the seafood industry, as is evident by the level of industry sponsorship and attendance at the conference.
In May 2016, The Association Specialists were contracted to manage the biannual National Seafood Industry Conference, Seafood Directions, at the International Convention Centre Sydney.
The event included the following:
- The conference was held across three days (Wednesday 27 September – Friday 29 September 2017).
- The International Convention Centre Sydney was the main venue for the conference.
- The Novotel Darling Harbour and the IBIS Darling Harbour were the main sources of accommodation for the conference.
- The overall conference program consisted of plenary sessions, invited speakers, 2 concurrent sessions, twenty-six abstract presentations and various panel discussions.
- The conference featured two pre-conference activities including an overnight Huon Field Trip and an Economics Masterclass Pre-Conference Workshop.
- The conference also incorporated daily Sydney Fish Market, Behind the Scenes Tours, from Wednesday 27 September - Friday 29 September 2017.
- The Welcome Reception was held in the Exhibition area, in Parkside 1, on Wednesday, 27 September 2017.
- The National Seafood Industry Awards Dinner was held in the Grand Ballroom at the International Convention Centre Sydney on Thursday, 28 September 2017. The dinner attracted nearly 400 attendees.
- The “Power Up” Breakfast was held on Friday, 29 September and was organised by WINSC.
- The trade component was held in the exhibition space, where each catering break was held and fourteen exhibitors showcased their products and services.
- All plenary sessions and one breakout stream (i.e. all sessions in Parkside 2) were Live Streamed internationally to registered delegates.
- The event attracted a total of 355 registrations.