Based on the Government ESD and Oceans Policies the pearling industry is currently facing several significant concerns. These include the need to:
- demonstrate objectively that pearling activities have minimal, if any, adverse ecological impact on the marine environment.
- identify challenges and threats to the fishery's continued variability from an ESD perspective
- demonstrate objectively that the fishery is environmentally sustainable
- obtain broad ecological information to assist the industry in identifying what environmental characteristics are key elements of successful pearl farming; and
- identify what areas of research are required to substantiate the pearling industry's claim of ongoing ESD.