Project number: 1992-025
Budget expenditure: $216,042.54
Principal Investigator: Rick Fletcher
Organisation: Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) WA
Project start/end date: 22 Mar 1993 - 30 Dec 1996
1. Document the distribution of eggs and larvae of pilchards along the entire south coast of WA during the critical winter season to determine the relationship between spawning at Esperance with the more eastern sites at Bremer Bay and Albany.
2. Determine the relationship between south and west coast pilchard stocks.
3. Examine interannual variation in the distribution and abundance of eggs in relation to changes in catch rates by the fishery and variations in the hydrological conditions particularly water temperature.
4. Provide data inputs on the distribution and abundance patterns of pilchards for the computer simulation model built to assess the state of the fishery.
5. Calculate spawning biomass estimates for the south coast using a modified egg production method
Author: Rick Fletcher